When it comes to motorcycles, there are numerous models available on the market to choose from. This can leave you feeling a bit overwhelmed by your range of options, especially if you are a first-time motorcycle buyer.
If you ask others how they came about purchasing their first bike, they may tell you that it was an impulse decision. On the other hand, you may hear that they were influenced by popular brand names or what their friends were riding at the time. While there is nothing wrong with buying on a whim, there is another option. You can invest more time into research to ensure that you purchase a motorcycle that best suits your wants and needs.
Here are some helpful tips to make an informed decision.
- Determine your preferred riding style.
There is no better joy and excitement than cruising on the open road with your new bike. When you are deciding on which motorcycle is right for you, you need to take into consideration how you plan to use it. What type of rider are you? Maybe, you are an adventurer who plans on making a cross-country road trip.
- Make a list of must-haves.
When searching for your first motorcycle, you must find one that meets your standards in engine size, weight, and seat height. Most of these features will be based upon personal preference and riding style. Go to the dealership to try out several different bikes to find one that is comfortable and easy for you to maneuver.
- Narrow down your choices by category.
Motorcycles can be separated into categories, based on their specific characteristics. We have identified some of the main categories with general information, on each.
- Cruisers: These bikes are made for comfort, not speed. For this reason, the overall design is a low seat with higher handlebars. The construction creates a more relaxed riding experience.
- Sport bikes: These bikes are lighter in weight and are built for speed. The design of the bike places the body in a more forward position. You may be sacrificing some levels of comfort, but you are not giving up any element of thrill.
- Dual Sport: These types of bikes are popular with those who owned dirt bikes when they were younger. They tend to be light, but tough. This makes them well-suited for a variety of terrain.
- Standard: The standard bike model is for anyone. Although it may be a “one size fits all” type of model, these bikes are still available in a range of sizes, horsepower levels, and styles.
- Set a budget.
This is one of the most important steps when making any new purchase. Motorcycles vary in price. When deciding on a budget, you must account for not only the cost of the bike, but also insurance, maintenance, and gear. Maintenance intervals will differ depending on your driving habits. Having a budget in place will help you stay on top of expenses and ensure that your ride runs smoothly for years to come.
- Decide on New vs. Used.
A common question that any first-time motorcycle buyer has is whether they should buy new or used. One major benefit of buying new is the overall condition. With new bikes, you will get new features and technology. You do not have to worry about any cosmetic damages. When buying used, you get the benefit of buying your dream bike at a lower cost. When making this decision, it is important to keep in mind your budget. If a used bike requires a lot of maintenance, you must add this into the purchase price.
National Dispatch is a leading provider of nationwide auto transport services. The company specializes in more than just the transport of the standard car, truck, van, and SUV. National Dispatch ships motorcycles, as well. This service is especially useful for those in the process of a residential move, extended vacation, out of state purchase, and more. For more information on motorcycle and general auto shipping services, check out www.nationaldispatch.com.[fbcomments]